There are a lot of times we fall sick, and we think to ourselves, “Would I get well?” The truth remains that God loves his children so much. He has provided hope for us through the numerous Bible verses on healing through times of sickness and ill health. God’s plan for the believer is to enjoy health abundantly.
God has provided various Verses in the bible to strengthen the faith of the believer, and to help the believer receive healing from him. There are various verses that ensure individual health and life. There those that ensure healing for the company of believers in General. Some verses ensure healing when you are sick, there are even those that provide for situations of depression.
Here are fifteen Verses that a believer should keep in mind, to enjoy the full health of God, and also to receive healing when it is needed.
1. “Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” Jeremiah 17:14
The first source of healing a Christians should turn to is God. As believers, we are to call on God first when we require healing.
2. “Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.” James 5:14-15
When a person is sick in the church, the elders of the church have been instructed to pray over them and anoint them with oil. Here, we see that sin could be attached to sickness, and sometimes seeking forgiveness could be a source of healing to the sick person.
3. “Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you…” Exodus 23:25
Worship as stated here is a way by which the believer can enjoy healing and health. God promises to take sickness from among his children.
4. “But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,’ declares the LORD” Jeremiah 30:17
A declaration is authoritative. God has declared that he would restore the health of the believer and that he would heal our wounds.
5, “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
This verse also ties sickness to sin. It makes it quite obvious sometimes confession of sins and the seeking for mercy can also be a source of healing for the believer.
6. “My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. Do not let them out of your sight; keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one’s whole body.” Proverbs 4:20-22
The word of God and his precepts have healing in them. There are instructions as to what to eat and to food generally in the scripture. Though we are not subject to the law anymore, so many of the dictates of the law are not only for spiritual purification but also for the good of the health of the believer. Thus obedience to the word results also in good health.
Spiritual and Emotional Healing
In as much as physical healing is very important, there are times when what needs healing the most is the mind. The emotional and spiritual health of a believer is very important to God, and he values the mental health of the believer.
7. “He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.” Psalm 147:2NLT
There are times when believers go through hard times that affect their minds, such as periods of heartbreak. God already makes provision for times like this. He heals the brokenhearted.
8. “My wayward children,” says the Lord, “come back to me, and I will heal your wayward hearts.” Jeremiah 3:22NLT
God makes provision for disobedience. He knows that his children could be wayward, and he has made a provision for the healing of their hearts when they turn from their wayward ways.
9. Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29NLT
The heart of man gets burdened with yokes from all sides. This statement was made by Jesus, and it is quite easily seen as a call to salvation. This call to salvation is a call to spiritual healing. He promises to give rest to the weary soul who comes to him.
10. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
The peace that God gives to his children is not one that can be understood by the world. This peace is one that calms the spirit and soul even when society says otherwise.
11. “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.” Isaiah 40:29
God gives strength to the weary. He helps those who are weak go through their periods of weakness while relying on his strength.
12. ”How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil because God was with him. Acts 10:38NLT
There are many times mental and spiritual oppression is as a result of the activities of devils. Jesus from the beginning of his ministry was empowered with the power to heal and to deliver the oppressed from any form of oppression.
Healing for Nations
13. “He said, “If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you.” Exodus 15: 26
After God delivered the Israelites from the people of Egypt, he gave them his commandments for them to keep. The keeping of His precepts would be their key as a nation to enjoying health and avoiding the fate of the Egyptians.
14. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
Disobedience to God can cause decay in a land. Decay isn’t literal, but rather, the society itself having decayed morals, and the nation lacking progress. What God requires is for a nation to turn from their wicked ways and he would heal their land. Nineveh, for example, showed true repentance, andGod showed them mercy.
15. “He took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered Him punished by God, stricken by Him and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds, we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5
This was a prophecy of the suffering that Jesus would endure for the sake of the entire human race. He has taken upon himself all the wages of sin we are to suffer, and he has gone ahead to die upon our behalf. This death ensures our access to the things he has won. This includes long life and fruitfulness.
God wants to heal for his children, The believer in Christ is entitled to good health, both mental, spiritual and in every other area. We can remind ourselves of God’s promise through his words, and through pointed Bible verses on healing.