Most times, Christians confuse religion with spirituality. Although they are very different, they are sometimes used interchangeably. Spirituality is a lot deeper than the practice of religion, while it is possible to be religious without being spiritual, your spirituality determines the religious path you take. Religion is more about the doctrines and rules of Christianity while spirituality is about the relationship between God and man.
WHAT IS SPIRITUALITY?
Over the years, the rate at which man seek for spirituality, the need for man to connect to something deeper than self as increased a great deal, which leads them to seek for spiritual enlightenment in the wrong places. Although there are different ways and paths to spirituality, some which includes other religious practices like Judaism, Zen Buddhist, Taoism and some toxic behaviors like using drugs that lift consciousness, the Bible tells us in Isaiah 47: 12-15 that these paths only leads to destruction.
Last week, I had a conversation with a very good friend, who shared the story of a priest who read a book on Judaism, unfortunately he had so many unanswered questions that his believe changed, he ended up marrying multiple wives and eventually turned his life upside down in search for answers. Now it is ok to be curious, but it is very important to be deeply rooted on the ground that you stand, so that when you come across something that’s not your truth you don’t become wavered.
So what then is true spirituality, and way is the right way? True spirituality is the relationship between Man and God on his path to eternal life and the only way to achieve this is explained in John 4:24 which says “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth”.
HOW TO ATTAIN SPIRITUAL GROWTH
Spiritual growth is the process of becoming more mature in our path with Christ. 2 Peter 1:3 says “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Spiritual growth cannot be achieved at once, it is a path that we have to continuously walk on and some ways which it can be achieved includes:
• Understanding the word of God and then applying it into our daily lives.
• Walking in the spirit: Galatians 5:16-18 says “ Walk in the spirit and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lust against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law.”
• Imitating Christ 1Corinthians 11:1
• Exhibiting the fruits of the spirit: Galatians 5: 22-23 says “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law
• Allowing the Holy Spirit: most times we limit the Holy Spirit through sin.
BENEFITS OF SPIRITUAL GROWTH
• Improvement in the fruit of the spirit: As you grow in Christ, things will become easier, you’ll have more control over how you act and react.
• Discerning between right and wrong: Hebrew 5: 13-14 says “For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.”
• Spiritual gifts: When you have the Holy Spirit, you are able to access the spiritual gifts mentioned in 1Corinthians 12.
• Strength to resist temptation.
The journey of spirituality is a long life commitment and we are to expect obstacles, set backs and temptation, therefore, it is important to seek the face of God in every junction we reach, because through Him, all things have been made possible.