Fela Durotoye is the President of the GEMSTONE Nation Builders Foundation. A non-governmental organization founded for the goal of building and training youth to become transformational leaders. Fela Durotoye who is popularly known as Mr Nigeria is a leadership expert, motivational speaker, and business consultant. Fela was a candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria party (ANN) for the 2019 Nigerian presidential election.
Fela Durotoye Early life
Fela Durotoye was born in Ibadan Oyo state on 12 May 1971, to Layiwola and Adeline Durotoye. Both his parents were professors at the University of Ibadan.
Fela Durotoye Education
Fela attended Moremi High School (1981-1986). He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science with Economics and Master Degree in Business Administration (M.B.A) at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He is an alumnus of John F . Kennedy School of Government Executive Educational program at Harvard University.
Fela Durotoye is a certified leadership coach of the John Maxwell team and he attended the High Impact Leadership for a better society program at Yale University.
In 2015, Fela completed the executive seminar program on strategy, innovation, and governance at the Lagos Business school after he passed out with distinction in the Supernumerary police training program at the Nigerian police training
Fela Durotoye Campaign
On February 22, 2018, Fela announced his intention to run for presidency in the 2019 Nigerian general election under the Alliance of New Nigerian political party. He was selected out of 11 presidential aspirants as their Consensus Candidate.
On September 29, 2018, Fela Durotoye emerges as the presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN) for the 2019 general election. He chooses Khadijah Abdullahilya as his vice president, Khadijah is a successful social entrepreneur.
On Thursday 24, January 2019, Fela Durotoye appreciated Oby Ezekwesili on his twitter handle for her leadership attribute at the frontier of building a formidable coalition and presenting a Consensus Candidate for the Presidential election. He decided to fully support all presidential candidates which include Fela Durotoye, Omoyele Sowore and Kinsley Moghalu through a transparent electoral process if he did not emerge as the consensus candidate in the forthcoming election.
Fela Durotoye Career
In 1992, Fela was a financial analyst at Ventures and Trust. He was the head of the customer care service department at Phillips Consulting Limited in 1998. Fela went further to start V.I.P Consulting Limited in 2000, it became recognized and notable in customer and human management in Nigeria. The firm was later changed from a consulting firm to a social enterprise called Visible Impact Limited.
Fela Durotoye became a facilitator, motivational speaker and went on to give speeches at leadership and management retreats around and outside Nigeria.
In 2008 he shared the podium with reputable Icons, which include senior senator Mohammed Shaaba Lafiagi, senator Ben Murray Bruce, Nigerian Stock Exchange chairman Abimbola Ogunbanjo, Media pioneer Biodun Shobanjo, former governor Peter Obi and technologist Ade Olufeko, where he gave a speech to over 200 entrepreneurs at the inaugural Nigerian American Business Forum in Tampa Florida.
GEMSTONE Nation Builders Foundation
GEMSTONE is an acronym of Generation that is Empowered, Motivated and Stirred To Operate with Natural Excellence, is an organization to empower, motivate, inspire and raise leaders of excellence with human resources to develop Nigeria and make it a better place in the world to live by 31st December 2025. The organization has over 12,000 students in Nigeria,9 African countries, Europe and USA.
Fela Durotoye Project Raise
Fela raised volunteers that successfully feed and trained 51,150 students and 500 teachers for 2 weeks in Oyo State ranking Oyo from 28th to number 3 in math and English nationwide in 2010.
Fela Durotoye’s Mushin Makeover
In December 2009, he created the project for the urban renewal title “mushin makeover” where young and old vibrant personalities were involved in the volunteering work, with likes of Segun Dangote, Teju Babyface, Sound Sultan, Ty Bello, Dj Jimmy Jatt, Dele Momodu, Stella Damascus, Tee A, Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, Omawunmi, Kate Henshaw, Alibaba, Banky W amongst others, painting and calling for donation of free paints and human services.
Fela successfully painted 296 houses across 7 streets of the Mushing Suburb of Lagos with no fee charged to the owners or resident, with the help of over 2000 volunteers, also over 100 unemployed youths were also trained by Berger Paint PLC in “The Art and Technique of Painting”, majority of the youths now make ends meet with the knowledge and skill acquisition program leaned during the “Mushin Makeover” project.
Fela Durotoye Leadership Network
Fela Durotoye has held numerous leadership capacity. So far, he serves on the of:
- O NAPHTALI, a scratch card and printing company in Nigeria.
- Bubez Food Group.
- House of Tara International, a successful beauty company in Nigeria with over 4,000 beauty representatives, 22 beauty studios and 12 make-up schools.
- Homebase Mortgage Bank Limited made him the chairman of its Board of Directors.
- I-aspire media, Nigeria’s inspiration and leadership radio station.
- Orbra, the manufacturers of smartphones, tablets, smart devices and accessories in Nigeria.
- The Nigeria Canada Forum (NCF) in Regina, Canada.
Fela Durotoye Book
Fela Durotoye is the author of the book titled “17 Secrets of High Flying Students”.
Fela Durotoye’s Awards and Recognitions
Fela has received numerous awards – national and international. All in recognition of his leadership prowess, inspiration and good works to humanity
- Nigerian Achievers Award Institute (NAAI).
- Fly Network Africa Integrity Award.
- City People Award.
- Role Model Award by the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC).
- “Excellence in Human Resource Consulting Award” by NIPRO, a body of Nigerian Professionals based in the United Kingdom and the United States of America. He got this award in recognition of his contributions to Human Resource Consulting at their global convention in Miami, Florida in December 2004.
- Most prestigious Award of Excellence, by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPMN), in recognition of his excellence and professionalism in sharing his knowledge of Human Resource Management in July 2005.
- Heart of Africa Award by the Federal Ministry of Information and Communication in recognition of his efforts towards building a new Nigeria in 2006.
- Prestigious Nigerian Achievers Award in 2009.
- The Universal Peace Federation and the Youth Federation for World Peace as a United Nations Young Ambassador for Peace in 2011.
- The US-based Black Enterprise magazine named Fela Durotoye as one of the 10 Power Men in Africa on Twitter in 2013.
- The African Young Entrepreneurs network gave him an honorary award for his efforts in advancing youth enterprise and nation-building in Africa, precisely Nigeria in 2017.
Fela Durotoye’s Family
Fela Durotoye is married to Tara Fela Durotoye, who is a Lawyer, CEO of House of Tara and a make-up artist. The couple is blessed with three sons, Mobolurin, Demilade and Morolaoluwa. his family are God-fearing Christians.
Fela Durotoye’s Net worth
Fela Durotoye net worth is $1.7 million.